Today's Reading: Colossians 1-4; Philemon
Do you ever sit or kneel to pray and think, what should I pray for these whom I love? Often we ask God to "bless" and we offer "thanks" for people. But wouldn't it be marvelous to put some meat on our prayers of intercession?
How about we learn from one of the best today? Paul's letters usually begin with prayers and his prayer in the letter to the Colossians is a wonderful model for us.
So here's a great checklist for all on your prayer list.
1. Ask God to continually fill them with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives. To know God's will, to understand wisely the direction God is leading would be such a comfort to those raising children, making major life decisions or leading God's people!
2. If we could grasp God's will, we would be able to live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way. The object of every one who loves the LORD would be to please him in every way possible. It is a worthy goal!
3. Imagine asking the LORD to allow the one for whom you are praying to be able to bear fruit in every good work. This way, they (we) would not only be pleasing God, but we would feed all around us with the marvelous spiritual fruit we would carry with us.
4. And wouldn't it be marvelous to grow in the knowledge of God.--to daily increase in the mind of Christ. To begin to understand, not only what God desires, but who God is!
5. In the midst of the ministries, we must pray for strength with all power according to God's glorious might so that those for whom we are praying may have great endurance and patience! Sometimes, living for Jesus puts people in strange and scary situations. To have the strength of God, God's endurance and patience, is truly a blessing.
6. And what a joy to thank the Father, who has qualified them to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light. There is no greater joy on earth than to be secure in the salvation inheritance laid up by God for his beloved.
What an exciting way to pray for one another!