"We must trust, though we seem alone, there are others walking with us."

Search This Blog

Friday, December 10, 2010

Day 341: By faith

Today's Reading: Romans 4-7

So let me get this right.

We are saved by faith, and not by works, so no one gets to boast.

This, supposedly, is good news--great news!

Then why can't we--I--embrace it?

Faith is basically trusting and believing all mixed up into one big concept. Faith is totally dependent upon another's attributes and actions, not our own. Faith is resting and perhaps even waiting for the "other" to act and move and make something happen. Faith, in many ways, is passive. It implies a stillness, a surety, a confidence, a certainty.

Maybe that's the problem. Maybe I want a piece of the action. Maybe it is hard for me to put myself into another person's timeline and surrender the steering wheel or the remote control. Maybe I'd rather be the one making the choice as to the road traveled and the pitstops made. Maybe I feel sick sitting in the backseat, crowded in with my siblings. Maybe I want the place of responsibility and honor. Maybe I want the control, not only of the destination but the route. Maybe I want to brag and be recognized for a job well done. Maybe I want to pick and choose.

There's the rub, eh?

I want, I want, I want.

Paul always seems to nail me right where I am.

I want to boast...I want to say its all about me.

For my own good, Abba Father, put me in the back seat, give me my pillow and tell me to go to sleep. The journey is long and it might just be best if I just snuggle up with my siblings and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment