"We must trust, though we seem alone, there are others walking with us."

Search This Blog

Friday, December 10, 2010

Day 335: Always?

Today's Reading: 1 Corinthians 12-14

The word "love" has been a hard one for me. I really don't know what it means when people say it. We use it too often; in fact, so often that it becomes like a worn out pair of blue jeans or a holey old tee shirt--common and ordinary.

I prefer the word "faithful." Even though this speaks only to a portion of the meaning of "love," for me, it speaks to its heart. This rings especially true when I read the "Love Chapter" and find this phrase:
Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

That word "always" trips me up.

I'm someone who can do the word "sometimes" and maybe even "often," but "always?" That is hard for me. I don't think I do anything "always."

"Always" is a high standard. If it is the standard for love, I have to admit (or maybe the better word is confess) I have never loved anyone, not even myself. I protect only when it is comfortable. I trust only when I can see at least some proof. I wane in my hope when I am disappointed. I have a very hard time persevering when the course is long and I feel winded.

Because of my own inability to live the "always," it's hard for me to imagine our Heavenly Father's ability to be the "Always."

Today, I will meditate on the faithful "always-ness" of our LORD. Not only for me. But for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment