"We must trust, though we seem alone, there are others walking with us."

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 270: The joy of the LORD is your strength

Today's Reading: Nehemiah 8-10

Imagine this day...

Everyone in a community who can understand comes to listen to the priest read the Holy Scriptures. They have no chairs. They have no shelter. They all stand all day as all scripture is read. No one glances at the local sundial or hour glass to see if time is up. Instead, they listen.

And while listening, they begin to cry. They are so moved by God's word, they weep. They mourn.

And they stay.

And they stand.

Their mourning soon turns to joy. The story of their God moves them to radical celebration! To feasting! To dancing!

The joy of the LORD strengthens them!

Today, as I went about my work, as my mind filled with the concerns of the day, as I labored in the kingdom of God, I asked myself, "What would your life be without the Word of God?" The thought brought tears to my eyes. I could not imagine the hole, the barrenness, the despair.

Suddenly my heart turned to great praise and gratitude for the gift of Scripture and revelation in my life. Joy filled me as I began to ponder everything God has done, is doing and will do on my behalf.

It does not matter what happens today. The joy of the LORD gives so much strength, my weakness is borne up.

I will not be afraid.

I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment