"We must trust, though we seem alone, there are others walking with us."

Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 269: Now strengthen my hands

Today's Reading: Nehemiah 6-7

You work and you work, and then you work some more. And as if the work is not enough, someone comes along to malign you, to gossip against you and to distract you with their lies.

What is it about other people who create havoc? Are they bored with their own lives that they need to stir up trouble? Do they not have enough going on to keep themselves occupied in their own business? Does your success scare them?

Nehemiah speaks truth to the critics, once, twice, three, four, five times and they still come at him. His ability to function in the midst of all the slander is amazing.

It is grounded in his relationship with God.

When many of us grow weary and frustrated, we droop, we withdraw, we begin to give up. The key to reverse this defeat is in Nehemiah's prayer: "Now strengthen my hands!"

Whatever battle you face today, wherever you are growing weary, apply the prayer--Now strengthen my hands--LORD, I'm tired and growing weak, now strengthen my hands.

It speaks to the immediacy of the request--"Now..."
It speaks to the need--"strengthen..."
It is personal--"my..."
And it addresses the main part of the body dealing with labor or warfare--"hands..."

o LORD,
Give me enough strength today
to accomplish what you have set before me
despite all that would try to ensnare me.

No comments:

Post a Comment