"We must trust, though we seem alone, there are others walking with us."

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Day 298: Knowing what to fear

Today's Reading: Luke 12-13

Here is my confession of the day...well, maybe it's not a confession, more likely it is a frustrated observation.

I am getting really, really annoyed with people's prayer requests.

There, I said it.

Now, before you think me a total jerk, fully insensitive and lacking of all compassion, let me argue this point. I think this is a very Biblical annoyance.

For what do most people request prayer? Usually it is for someone who is ill. They ask you to pray for healing. Now, let me just say, this not only annoys me, it bores me, it frustrates me and it drives me batty.

Before you take me before the disciplinary committee to have me de-frocked, look at today's scripture.

Jesus says, "I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him."

During a time of sharing concerns, most people verbalize their fears about some disease or someone whose loved ones have died. Cancer. Accidents. Alzheimer's. Strokes. Blindness. Mental illness. Suicides.

Legitimate, right? We weep and cry over something that will befall us all at one time or another. This flesh is going to fail us. We are all going to die.

Just once, I would love to hear someone proclaim, "My friend is ill. Pray he will not be afraid of the illness. My friend is dying. Pray she will not be afraid of death. Please pray instead that he will truly comprehend who God is, will experience tremendous fear and awe, and long for a relationship with his heavenly Father and eternal life."

I wonder what would happen in the Body of Christ if we really started listening to Jesus instead of listening to our fleshly fears. How would it change our prayers? How would it change our testimony? How would it change our lives?

Are we wise enough to fear God?

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.

Didn't I read that "somewhere?"

1 comment:

  1. God bless you with his presence and his love. Thank you for thinking out loud this year! Love, Jenna

    ReplyDelete