"We must trust, though we seem alone, there are others walking with us."

Search This Blog

Friday, August 20, 2010

Day 231: Prayer life

Today's Reading: Habakkuk

I must admit; I am intimidated by the prayer life of the prophets of the Bible.

They so articulately call out to God and then received such long and complete answers.

In my prayer life, I humbly speak my mind. It is not very flowery or even in sentence form. Most of the time, my prayer life is "thinking with God." I envision the situation of my concern, the person for whom I care or the love and gratitude I feel for God. Most of the time, my prayer is "wordless."

And when God speaks to me, the reply is most often a calm or a nudging. When I actually hear words, the phrasing is very short: "I have taken care of this." "You are praying for the wrong one." "Go, and speak to so and so." "Watch what others have done."

Granted, I have not lived through exile or the immense suffering of a war torn country, and so, perhaps my prayer life has not been pushed to the discipline of articulation of Habakkuk and others.

But to tell the truth, I love my prayer life, simple though it may be. God listens and I speak. God speaks and I listen. We are conversational and, though I understand God is the LORD and I am the servant, I also know God is my Abba and I am his child. I love that God knows me so intimately and can read my thoughts and intentions. Sometimes this is scary, to be so well known, but most of the time it is comforting.

The LORD is in his holy temple;
let all the earth be silent before him.
I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment