"We must trust, though we seem alone, there are others walking with us."

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 106: When I am afraid...

Today's Readings: Psalms 56, 120, 140-142

When I was a little girl, I would hide under my bed when I was afraid. Though it was a tight fit, it seemed to be a place where nothing could reach me. It seemed to be a place in another world. Under my bed, the springs were so close, they scratched my nose. I could hear my own breathing.

Despite David's prowess with weapons, he had times when he was afraid. He wrote down his fears in his prayers to God which make up a big chunk of our Psalter. His world has gone topsy turvy.

When I speak peace, they speak war.

My friends turn on me.

My spirit is overwhelmed within me.

Bring my soul out of prison.

When we are afraid, hiding under our emotional beds, our worlds get very small and limited. Life gets so close and in our face. We cannot see a bright future. There seems to be no escape.

David names all the feelings that swirl around fear. And God saved these words for us so that we might know others of faith faced the same emotion.

Amazingly, every Psalm lifts up a faith statement:

In God I put my trust.

I cried to the LORD, and he answered me.

I know the LORD will maintain the cause of the afflicted.

My eyes are toward you, O God, the LORD.

You are my refuge.

Perhaps it is the faith in God that causes the LORD's arm to reach into our dark spaces under the bed and bring us out again into life.

No comments:

Post a Comment