"We must trust, though we seem alone, there are others walking with us."

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 105: Trust and Refuge

Today's Reading Psalms 7, 27, 31, 34, 52

These Psalms of David reflect his years in the rocks and crevasses of cliffs as he tries so hard to be faithful to a king who hates him and survive in a land that bears very little vegetation.

In you, O Lord, I put my trust.

In you, O Lord, do I seek refuge.

The Hebrew word chacah means both trust and refuge and thus, different translations use the words interchangeably.

Trust and Refuge.

When I trust someone, I know she will follow through on her word. I know he will love me despite my failings. I know they can be counted on through thick and thin.

When I think of refuge, I think of a safe place of protection, a place I can go and be healed or guarded.

David saw God as his trust and refuge. David did not take vengeance or vindication into his own hands, but avoided his enemy, stayed true to his integrity and continued to do right in the eyes of God. David expected God to protect him.

So I have to ask myself, what or whom do I trust and where do I see refuge.

I do trust God and at times, when I feel threatened, I seek refuge in God. But I also put my trust in things that are shaky--things like my own abilities and gumption. And at times, I take refuge in activities that aren't necessarily the healthiest.

What does it take for us to run to God for trust and refuge? Perhaps it is when our lives are threatened in some way, like David's was.

When we run to God, we have to face ourselves. David asks, Did I do anything to cause this? Is there any injustice in me?

This wrestling puts us naked before God. We don't like to be naked, especially when we have something hiding in our pockets. Some secret sin. Some thought that is not true. Some action done in the dark.

It's hard to be naked, but perhaps that is the best place to be.

Naked in the arms of the God whom we can trust to protect and save us.

No comments:

Post a Comment