"We must trust, though we seem alone, there are others walking with us."

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 151: Drippy Desire to Please

Today's Reading: Psalm 119:89-176

I open my mouth and pant,
longing for your commands.


It is summer. I sit on my back porch with ice tea to delight in the summer breeze. But suddenly I am hit with hot air...hot stinky air.

It is Mocha, my big chocolat lab, open mouthed and panting; breathing putrid, happy breath on me.

I tell her to "go on" which is master talk meaning "go away."

I move over a bit to politely get out of the path of her blast, but she thinks this is a game to draw her ever closer to me.

Her eyes twinkle. Drool begins to roll out of her mouth as she salivates with delight in my presence.

She will not be ignored.

Even if I wanted to pretend a regal silence, her longing for my approval, a command or a beloved tidbit keeps her doggedly close to me.

The Psalmist is panting open mouthed this morning. The Psalmist is drooling with desire for a command from God. There is no parched wilderness of disobedience or rebellion.

No.

Just the living water drool of desire that will not "go on!" without a word...

...a word from the mouth of her master.

No comments:

Post a Comment