"We must trust, though we seem alone, there are others walking with us."

Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 143: Footstool

Today's Reading: Psalms 108-110

The Psalms today sound like a walk through a furniture store.
Moab is my washbasin,
upon Edom I toss my sandal

Sit at my right hand
until I make your enemies
a footstool for your feet.

I never really thought of myself as a piece of furniture, but in God's house, it seems entire nations are addressed as utilitarian domestic pieces.

To make enemies a footstool is to lower them, to dishonor them.

I have a footstool. I use it every night when I am resting. It has the job of holding my aching tired feet.

I wonder what piece of furniture I am in God's house? Am I something in which God delights, like a good book or a piece of pottery? Am I something God uses everyday, like a bar of soap or a teakettle? Do I help out, like a towel or a rake? Or am I a bother, like a leaky faucet or a weed in the garden?

I've never thought of myself as a piece of furniture or household furnishing before, but if I was one, I'd like to be something that either entertained God or gave God pleasure. I'd also like to be useful and something God picked up or employed daily.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment