"We must trust, though we seem alone, there are others walking with us."

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 63: Spring Up, O Well!

Today's Reading: Numbers 21-22

"I've gotta river of life flowing out of me,
Makes the lame to walk and the blind to see,
Opens prison doors, sets the captive free.
I've gotta river of life flowing out of me!

Spring up, O well,
Deep in my soul!
Spring up, O well,
And make me whole!
Spring up, O well,
And give to me
That life abundantly!"

The above is a camp song I've sung for years with the children of King's Kids Camp. I thought the origin of the song was John 4, the story of the Woman at the Well and Jesus' dissertation on Living Water.

How surprised I was to find the origin of this camp song in the sometimes dusty, dry book of Numbers!

The LORD said to Moses, "Gather the people together and I will give them water." Numbers 21:16

I must admit, I am tired today. It is the end of my week and I am looking forward to tomorrow, my day off. I sleep in until I wake up. I lounge around in my jammies. I drink a warm drink snuggled up on the couch. I take my time. I go into neutral gear. I rest.

Sabbath is a well spring for me. It is the well dug for me by my God. It turns the desert wasteland of my life into a verdant garden.

I take time to drink in the love of my Savior and Lord very deeply. After a long, and sometimes "hot" or "sticky" week's journey, Sabbath is a glorious oasis with a deep, deep well.

Jesus, the Living Water, said, "Come to me, everyone who is weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." What a wonderful opportunity, no, command, we have from God. "Gather together and I will give you water."

Sit down. Take your shoes off. Put your feet up, and let the LORD of all get you a frosted glass of clear, clean water.

"Spring up, O Well!
Sing about it!"

Numbers 21: 17

No comments:

Post a Comment