"We must trust, though we seem alone, there are others walking with us."

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 76: When you go out to battle...

Today's Reading: Deuteronomy 17-20

"Hear, O Israel, you are approaching the battle against your enemies today. Do not be fainthearted. Do not be afraid, or panic, or tremble before them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you."
Deuteronomy 20:3-4

I have never been in a war, but I have been in a battle. The longest most drawn out battle I faced was a battle with cancer. The words in this verse are very appropriate.

The first is to determine the name of the enemy. Mine was cancer, but it can also be anything that is challenging your body or soul's health. We are not to let our hearts faint; we are not to let the strength of our hearts dissipate. No fear or worry or quaking is to follow.

Most people would be afraid, worried and panicky with diagnoses of life threatening illness or soul shattering circumstances. But we are not to be this way. Why? Because the LORD our God is the one who goes with us, to fight and to save.

I have never been a fighter. I'm competitive but I don't like fights. I would rather give in to something or someone than fight. It makes me feel secure that God is the one who fights my battles.

And like a knight in shining armor, God not only fights, but saves. God not only slays the dragon but rescues me from the evil tower.

Later in this chapter it says that when one is about to go into battle, they are to appear before the priests. For me, there is nothing like the prayers of the priesthood of believers when I am facing a battle. It is great to be consecrated to the LORD.

No matter what battle you are facing today, remember that the LORD God is with you and fighting for you.

And if the LORD is for you, who can be against you.

No comments:

Post a Comment