"We must trust, though we seem alone, there are others walking with us."

Search This Blog

Friday, March 26, 2010

Day 85: You are old...

Today's Reading: Joshua 12-15

Joshua and Caleb were the two men who carried the history of Israel in their very beings. They were the only two Israelites who actually lived in the midst of the slavery of Egypt, witnessed the devastation of the plagues, waited in their homes during the passover, crossed the Red Sea, wandered in the wilderness, ate the manna, lived through the testings, spied out the land, crossed the Jordan, fought at Jericho and settled in the Promised Land.

What a life they had!

Our reading today begins with the LORD telling Joshua, "You are old, and yet, there is so much more to do." (paraphrase of Joshua 13: 1)

I had a birthday this week, and though I am in my 50's, there are days when I feel the advancement of the years in my body. Many of us, as we move into our "golden years," look forward to retirement years of ease. We hope to have time, finally, to do what we want to do, without the pressures of work or the responsibilities of raising a family. But as we age, we must remember there is still so much more to do.

In the church, it is important for the older members to pass the torch to the younger members, to make space for the new generation, to mentor them in leadership. But there is no excuse for sitting around and using age as the reason for inactivity in the kingdom of God.

We might become old, but there is always so much more to do. Our goal as we age should be to labor in the fields of the LORD until we breathe our last breath.

As I visit the elderly in my church, I hear many complaints of bones aching and brains misfiring. The flesh does wither and weaken, for sure. But our hearts and spirits should be thriving with wisdom and hope for the future kingdom of our LORD.

This past week, I had the joy of listening to an 80+ year old from my church share her excitement about her Sunday School class of 12-14 year olds. She delighted in their growing ability to talk theologically and expanding commitment to discipleship with Jesus. She thanked me over and over for "allowing" her to teach this group of young people. Amazing...

I thanked her for her commitment to the kingdom!

The call upon her life has been the call upon Peter's life: Feed my lambs, Feed my sheep.

I want to be like her "when I grow up." I want it to be said of me, "she might be old, but she has so much more to do and give for her LORD."

In the movie, O Brother, Where art thou? I was introduced to an old bluegrass song performed by the Peasall Sisters. Today, it is my theme song.

In the highways in the hedges
In the highways in the hedges
In the highways in the hedges
I'll be somewhere a workin for my Lord

I'll be somewhere a workin
I'll be somewhere a workin
I'll be somewhere a workin
I'll be somewhere a workin for my Lord

When he calls me I will answer
When he calls me I will answer
When he calls me I will answer
I'll be somewhere a workin for my Lord

In the highways in the hedges
In the highways in the hedges
In the highways in the hedges
I'll be somewhere a workin for my Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment