"We must trust, though we seem alone, there are others walking with us."

Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 197: The God we disregard

Today's Reading: Isaiah 18-22

While reading through the book of Isaiah where God is punishing all the surrounding enemies of God's people, I think to myself, I do not know this God.

Perhaps I have been raised too long in a culture where God is kind and loving and full of compassion. The God who sits back and lets whole nations crumble is hard to read about, much less embrace. The God who throws people into civil war and terror is hard for me to get my mind around.

This makes me ask the question, "Is this my problem or God's?" The obvious answer is that it is my problem. But my gut response is a sadness that I really, truly do not understand God.

"My ways are not your ways
nor are my thoughts your thoughts."

This is what God is saying to me today. It is disconcerting. It feels like what it must be like for a woman one day to wake up beside her husband and not know him.

Lord, show me and teach me.
You are scaring me.
But I trust you...

No comments:

Post a Comment